Boys Basketball Players Compete for Annual Iron Panther

To wrap up their pre-season training, all boys interested in joining the basketball program were invited to compete for Coach Hawes’ annual Iron Panther title

Some may be unfamiliar with the Iron Panther title and the meaning that comes along with it, but for Coach Hawes and the boys basketball players, the “Iron Panther” has been a critical part in the development of the basketball program for the past 10 years. This year, junior Brett Asbury grinded through the Iron Panther course until he was able to claim the 2017 title as his own.

The Iron Panther is a title given to the winner of a relay race full of conditioning exercises assigned by varsity head coach Jeff Hawes each year before the season. This demanding course begins with a sprint to Riverbend Middle School and back, followed by sets of agility workouts, cardio bursts, and strength training including running the track with a medicine ball held over their heads.

“This is our last workout; I think it’s just a good way to end the fall workouts and see how much we’ve improved,” said senior Kevin Cox.

It challenges all boys interested in the basketball program to go head-to-head and compete. A workout with a reward that is fun and forces potential players and returners to show their competitive side is exactly what Hawes uses to wrap up his preseason workouts.

“It’s kind of just a way to culminate our fall workouts. We encourage the guys to [come] in during the fall and to get stronger and in better shape. So about nine or 10 years ago we decided to do this. It’s kind of like a survival thing involving running, pushups, jumping, all the stuff you do in basketball,” said Hawes.

Hawes and the varsity basketball team had a dominant basketball season last year and were able to take the district championship title for the second year in a row. Last year, as a sophomore, Asbury got pulled up from JV to the varsity team during playoffs.

Winning the Iron Panther title his freshman year and not participating in it his sophomore year because of football, Asbury set some goals for himself this year, including the Iron Panther.

“I hope to make at least second team all conference in my position,” said Asbury.

While Asbury came in first, senior Kevin Cox came in second and senior Sterling Anthony came in third. It was a close call throughout the whole race between Asbury, Cox, and Sterling. Asbury and Cox went head-to-head in the last leg of the race, but Asbury pulled through by only a couple seconds with a time of 19 minutes 47 seconds.

“[I think the hardest part was] the medicine balls and probably the last stretch, coming down the last lap, that was really hard,” said Cox.

Four-year participant in the Potomac Falls high school boys’ basketball program, Anthony grinded throughout the whole course and was granted a spot in the top three. Anthony played junior varsity his freshman and sophomore years and was a member of the varsity team last year as a junior. The senior point guard and shooting guard has high hopes for the varsity team and his last high school season.

“[My goals for this season] are just to play as a team, play good ball, get to states again, and win conference and regionals,” said Anthony.

The competition and pressure that is displayed between the players throughout this workout is exactly what Hawes looks for to close his fall workouts and enter the winter season. This annual tradition gives Hawes a preview of his players and just how far they are willing to push themselves.

“We try to always out work everybody, and this thing takes hard work, so it’s just kind of a good way to close up the fall. It’s just a little statement that no one works as hard as we do; we always try to claim that,” said Hawes. “It’s a good way to finish the fall and to finish with that mentality before we head into the season.”

The boy’s first basketball game is on November 28 at home versus local rival Dominion High School.