Pride & Prejudice Takes the Stage

After months of rehearsing, the cast of Pride and Prejudice performed for family, friends and the community for three nights

Pressured to get married, Elizabeth Bennet must find a wealthy husband to fulfill her family’s needs. The nineteenth century romance, Pride and Prejudice, illustrates the prejudice that occurred between the classes and the pride that kept lovers apart. Panther Productions just wrapped up their weekend of performances, with young determined actors and directors Elizabeth Deker and Kristin Bird.

“I thought that this show was really amazing, and everyone in the cast is super talented, especially the newer people who hadn’t been part of theater and only tech,” said sophomore Rachel Sedlak.

The three days leading up to the show, the cast of 31 actors held dress rehearsals — three days of running through the script in the clothes, makeup, and hairstyle that they would wear opening night. By doing this, they position themselves into that certain character.

“Mrs. Bird does my hair, and Avi Hoffman, one of my best friends, does my makeup,” said sophomore Jena Salem.

The cast and crew of Pride and Prejudice put a vast amount of effort into the show. For full preparation for the play, the actors practiced every day after school in the black box beginning in September. In addition, practice on weekends was also required.

“It took a whole lot of afternoons to learn everything from the dances to transitions to even my lines. But all of the people involved in the play made everything so much fun, and it really didn’t seem like we were preparing; it was more just all of us having fun together,” said sophomore Tanvi Thatai.

The opening night of the show was on Thursday, November 16 and the cast performed again on Friday before their final show on Saturday, November 18.

“The students did well,” said English Teacher, Samantha Hill. “I was eager to see how it would fit together with the scenes and it was seamlessly done. The period dancing was fun to watch.”