Debate: Where You Do More Than Just Argue

Each week, Debate Club meets to practice and refine their arguments before heading to competitions

Last February, Debate Club traveled to Harvard University to gain experience in nationwide debating by going against schools in other states to argue solutions to problems concerning healthcare, the economy, and human rights. This year, the team is debating locally, everywhere from Fairfax High School to Maryland.

“The mission of this club is to bring current topics, mostly in politics, and things that concern the United States together,” said sophomore Fikremariam Mengistu, Debate Club treasurer.

Not only is Debate Club a way to improve public speaking, but it is a resource that can place a student into college. According to College Confidential, participating in the debate tournaments, or receiving an award for debate, can be the key to attracting colleges.

“I joined Debate Club to build my resume,” said sophomore Ryan Kutum.

At their competition on December 16, 2017 at Fairfax High school, senior Jack Daou received an award for best debater at Fairfax High School. Earlier this season, he took home a first place and second place medal, in November and October respectively. “I am 15 medals in and am still waiting for this to get old,” said Daou.

Debaters meet every Tuesday after school in room 142 where they are assigned to research on recent issues such as immigration and gun control. “So far, the season has been good, and I have seen many talented students like Jack,” said Debate Club sponsor Brandon Kerr.

Besides being able to prove a point, Debate Club enables students to improve their public speaking, build confidence, improve responsibility, and make new friends. By speaking in front of hundreds of people during competitions, students begin to gain courage and improve their performance around others.

“As captain of the team, I do a lot of things including administrative work with money, what competitions we are going to, and also help run the practices, so I am giving out speech assignments, or giving example speeches to the other team members, and I am also doing a lot of various other things in competitions with other teams and their captains,” said Daou.

As of now, Debaters are preparing for their next competition on Saturday which will be held at Eleanor Roosevelt High School.