Back to the future

Teachers and students compare homecomings at PFHS

Homecoming is usually defined by the dark gym, upbeat music, and flashy attire. Often, students can expect the same sort of night all four years. However, after several years, things have changed. Many teachers at Potomac Falls also attended the school as students, and their Homecoming experience was not as it is to our current student body.

Learning Specialist, Mr. Darien Almond, 2006 graduate, says that at his Homecomings they often played rap and hip hop music. “There was definitely some NSync and Backstreet Boys played,” says Almond. Similarly to when Almond attended PFalls, the popular music played at the dance has not changed too drastically. “They usually play the top 100. One time they did a throwback song, ‘Livin on a Prayer’, but they really only do throwbacks that everyone knows,” said senior Mandy DeJonghe.

Fashion trends are also similar, guys and girls have basically been wearing the same style of clothing for over seven years. “Usually the guys just wore slacks, dress shirts, and ties. The girls pretty much wore the same thing they do today,” said Almond. The fashion then is still in style today, “Boys wear suits, which are different than tuxedos. Girls usually wear short dresses, probably because prom dresses are long so Homecoming is short,” said DeJonghe.

Surprisingly, the chaperones for the dance have changed as well. In ‘06, only teachers chaperoned the dance, including some that still teach at Potomac Falls. “I remember Mrs. Jens and Mrs. Ryman went to it [Homecoming],” said Almond. In contrast, now, “Teachers and parents chaperone. Parents usually run the bag check and during the dance you usually see the administrators,” said DeJonghe.

Homecoming is often a memorable experience for high school students. Being able to watch it unfold as a teacher is a completely different experience. The changes and constants throughout the years are far reaching. As far as going to Homecoming as a teacher, Almond says definitely not. “No I don’t go, I feel like it would be too weird,” said Almond.