Panthers with pep

Each year Homecoming week shows the thrilling side of our school

Every year, Homecoming week brings out a hidden side to students and teachers.   A teacher might reveal how much they look like a rock star on music genre day.  Your best friend might show off a spirited morph suit you did not know that they owned.   With all the excitement surrounding the week, there is little doubt that nothing is more entertaining than watching staff and peers go all out for Homecoming week.

Some like to go simple and find an accessory or two that applies to the spirit theme of the day, while others do not participate at all.  Despite the reluctance of many to go crazy for spirit week, it is a guarantee that the people who have the most fun during Homecoming week are the ones who show up to school dressed as a completely different person.

Just what does it take to be so spirited?  Are the days spontaneous or planned?  Some students seem to be passionately spirited year after year. Senior, Joo Sung Lee is considered to be one of the more spirited seniors, and enjoys dressing for the occasion.  Lee said, “I like to dress up fancy [for Homecoming] because that’s just who I am, you get to be unique.”  Lee added that he felt the seniors would be winning spirit week this year.

Many of us find ourselves shying away from the craziest of outfits while wishing we had the guts to wear them.  Junior Laura Castro says, “I wish I did [go all out for Homecoming] because it just looks really fun to be able to be creative and win, and help your class while making memories.”  Castro feels that senior year is the best year to really dress up for Homecoming because one is less likely to care what others think.  “Senior year is the best year to go all out because it is your last year and people don’t feel like they’re going to be judged.”

On the other hand, sophomore, Jessica Taylor started planning her Spiderman outfit in August, similarly to the many others who plan in advance.  When asked why she thinks Homecoming week is so special, she said, “I feel it’s a chance to show up the upperclassmen and the underclassmen.”

With all the excitement surrounding older students, the freshmen are left with a lot of pressure to compete.  It is up to the class officers and Freshman Advisory Board to pep up their class.  Freshman class president, Josh Vicencio said, “I usually just use social media to try and get them to go all out and in a way make them feel bad if they’re not going to.”

In the words of Laura Castro, Homecoming week is “Just the week to have fun, other weeks are about work, work, work, and this week is about the fun.”