Field Hockey Creating Future Collegiate Athletes

Playing since eighth grade, seniors Abby Asuncion, Natalie Brennan are both taking their talents to a four-year university next year.

As field hockey approaches its third season of being an official sport in Loudoun County, seniors Abby Asuncion, and Natalie Brennan are approaching their fourth and final season of varsity field hockey. Asuncion and Brennan have been playing for the team since they were in eighth grade when the team was founded as a club. Joining the team in just middle school has provided these girls with over four years to play the sport they love at the high school level, which is an opportunity many high school athletes don’t get.

Asuncion and Brennan are taking their athleticism to the collegiate level; Asuncion is verbally committed to play field hockey at Christopher Newport University, while multi-sport athlete Brennan committed to play basketball at University of Mary Washington. These two girls, because of their hard work and dedication shown over the past several years, have been named captains for the varsity field hockey team for the 2018 season.

“Being chosen to be a co-captain is a huge honor of mine. To be able to be looked up to as a leader and mentor for younger players, alongside my long-time buddy Abby just makes every moment out on the field that much sweeter,” said Brennan.

Brennan has taken up just about any sport she was able to try, but for her field hockey and basketball stuck. Along with varsity field hockey, Brennan has also been playing varsity basketball since her freshman year. Brennan believes that playing multiple sports has given her the opportunity to play collegiate basketball next fall.

“As soon as the coaches of Mary Washington took me on a tour of the campus, I fell in love. It was such a beautiful campus, and I could see myself there for the next chapter of my life. Playing basketball in college has always been a dream of mine and the fact that I get to be so close to home while doing it makes me so hopeful and excited for my future at Mary Washington,” said Brennan.

Even before high school, field hockey was always a top priority for Asuncion. Playing for “Metro Hockey Club” outside the school has helped Asuncion sharpen and fine tune her skills. Playing in college was a big goal for Asuncion and CNU was the perfect fit.

“CNU is one of the most beautiful campuses I’ve ever been to and it location is perfect: close to numerous beaches, theme parks, other colleges, etc. Not only that, the field hockey coaching staff are incredibly supportive, friendly, and absolutely amazing,” said Asuncion.

Relieved, now that they both have decided on their home for the next four years, Asuncion and Brennan are thankful for all their hard work paying off. Although it wasn’t easy, it was worth it.

“I distinctly remember lying in bed the night before I verbally committed and asking myself, ‘is this what I really want? ‘and ‘what would my friends and family think?’. After thinking to myself, I didn’t care what anyone else thought about my choice; I knew I wanted to play for CNU and knew this was the best choice for me,” said Asuncion.

These two seniors have paved the way for the younger players on the team. Brennan has had the opportunity to not only lead the team but to set an example for her younger sister on the team Eva Brennan.

“It’s nice having my sister on the team because it motivates me to do better, and she also doesn’t care about being mean to me, so she is brutally honest and tells me when I’m doing something wrong,” said Eva.

These girls have made a big impact for athletics here at Potomac Falls and hope to do the same at their colleges next fall.