Taking learning to the national level

Clubs at school take learning to the next level in their travels

When one thinks of high school field trips, the first thing that usually comes to mind is another visit to an historical landmark or museum because of our proximity to our nation’s capital. However, being that it is the extension of what one learns in class, field trips may not always be thought of as exciting or interesting to everyone.

However, for a few Potomac Falls clubs, this is not the case. Three of the many clubs at Potomac Falls are taking theirs further than just the Natural History Museum. The Future Business Leaders of America, Yearbook, and the Newspaper clubs are all going on cross country voyages to gain knowledge in their specific fields.

Future Business Leaders of America, also known as FBLA, is a national career and student technical organization with over 250,000 members nationally that helps students prepare for a future in a technical field, such as Computer technology. FBLA can be related to organizations like DECA and FCCLA, but with more of a business outlook. This year, the FBLA club is going to Cleveland to attend the National Fall Leadership Conference on the East Coast to learn more about  how to run businesses.

“We are going to be attending workshops and have the chance to gain valuable business understanding from real world experiences and other people around the country,” said FBLA President senior Greg Hempenius.

Being that it is their first time going to Cleveland, they anticipate high benefits from their educational excursion.

“I’m looking forward to meeting new people from other FBLA clubs to discuss the business teamwork enterprise,” said Hempenius.

Several students part of the Yearbook and Newspaper clubs are also attending the educational JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Conference. However, theirs takes place in Boston and is centered around journalism. They will be going together to get a better take on writing to improve the school Newspaper and Yearbook. It is a way for students to broaden their knowledge in writing and will help people who want to continue their studies in journalism.

“Something I would like to get out of this trip is to get better at writing and taking photos, all in all just to improve ‘The Legacy’,” said Yearbook staffer junior Allison Criswell.

Though these educational excursions may seem like all fun and games, these clubs are attaining an immense amount of information and money necessary to their successes in the future. If a student finds these opportunities inviting and wants to know more or is interested in pursuing a career in these fields, they should join these clubs.

“Joining FBLA is helpful to those who want to pursue a career in business because you participate in workshops and gain new experiences. At the conference, you have to dress up in business attire, women wear dresses and men wear suits and ties to look professional,” said Hempenius.

Although field trips are thought of as boring and plain, these clubs are breaking the stereotype and traveling around the country broadening their knowledge.