2018-2019 College Application Process: What does it take to start your future?

Learn what it takes to get into the college of your dreams

College application season has officially begun, and many of our seniors here have already been accepted into the colleges of their dreams. But what does it take to be accepted?

There are five key steps in the college application process: assessing strengths and capabilities, conducting research on which colleges are adaptable, applying on time to more than one college, visiting the campus, and preparing to become fully independent. More so than anything, the aspiring student should feel a sense of “home” at their new campus. Camille Kott, a senior here, got a chance to tour West Virginia University and experience it for herself.

“I took a tour of the campus and it felt like home when I was walking around. I knew it was the place I wanted to be,” said Kott.

The four years a person spends in high school can completely alter the career path they may have thought suited them. Different experiences and exposure to various environments can influence a student’s future.

“It wasn’t always a dream of mine [to dual major in Forensic Chemistry and Forensic and Investigative Sciences]; I’d always wanted to become the stereotypical doctor or actress and stuff like that. As I got through high school and took different science classes, I knew that I wanted to do something with chemistry that would still help people,” said Kott.

Applying to colleges can be a very stressful experience for rising seniors. As years have passed, the college admissions process has become more competitive, making it harder for students to achieve their goals.

Senior Allie Batchvarova was accepted into The University of Pittsburgh and shared her struggles during the application process.

“The hardest part was writing essays because there’s so much pressure to write something that stands out from all [of] the other applications,” said Batchvarova.  

A study from IvyWise newsletter and the National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) said, “The average yield rate has dropped once again, from 36.2% to 35.1%. Because students are applying to more colleges than ever before, they have more options, making it harder for colleges to predict whether or not certain admitted students will ultimately enroll.”