Girls Soccer: Big Turnout, Tight Roster

This seasons tryouts are going to be packed as more than 25 freshmen plan to tryout for PFHS varsity and JV soccer teams, leaving many worried.

Girls soccer is right around the corner, and athletes have begun morning practices and conditioning to show what they’ve got. Tryouts are critical this spring as more than 25 freshmen plan to come out with hopes to secure a spot on either junior varsity or varsity.

These freshmen all come with experience; they either play recreational soccer or are on travel teams ranging from Herndon, Great Falls, FC Virginia, or Chantilly.

This year’s tryouts will be nerve-racking with more than 60 athletes, across all grades, competing for a spot. If all 38 returning players receive a spot in 2018-19 soccer program, there will be availability for 12 freshmen to be rostered, meaning more than 13 girls will be cut. “There are so many soccer players at Potomac Falls, and it’s very intimidating,” said freshman Jenna Natour, who plays travel for Great Falls Blaze.

Twenty-five girls are permitted to roster per team for varsity and junior varsity, but the roster doesn’t have to obtain 25 girls per team. Last year, the varsity team had 24 players and JV had 23.

During the 2017-18 season, JV records show the team was solid with 11 wins, two draws, and two losses against two top teams, Broad Run and Briar Woods.

The varsity soccer team finished last spring with only five losses the entire season, boasting their best season in a decade. The team made it all the way to the state quarterfinal where they lost to Albemarle 2-0. They ended the season with a record of 17 wins, one tie, and five losses. Varsity had never been scored on more than twice in one game.

Freshman Emma Buytenhuys currently plays at midfield for travel team Chantilly Purple. “The freshman class is coming in strong and can contribute a lot to our team,” said Buytenhuys.        

Each Tuesday morning, girls come out to scrimmage on the turf to prepare for try-outs which begin February 18. A typical morning practice is swarmed with mostly freshmen and few upperclassmen including junior Sydney Watson. 

“I think we have a lot of freshmen trying out but we lost a lot of seniors, so we’ll need a strong showing of freshmen in order to combat what we lost,” said Watson.