The Roar

You’re In! These three seniors will be attending UVA next year

Back to Article
Back to Article

After two months of waiting, three selected students have finally received their letter of acceptance from the University of Virginia

With an acceptance rate of less than thirty percent, the University of Virginia is one of the most competitive colleges in the United States. Last year, out of 36,779 applicants, only 10,058 students were admitted.

On Jan. 25, senior Carlos Olivares discovered that he had been accepted into the University of Virginia. In addition, Olivares has also been admitted into Seton Hall, Christopher Newport, and the University of Richmond. Although he hasn’t thought about careers for the future, Olivares would like to study International Relations at UVA.

“I applied early action around the end of October [and] I was worried for my decision like everybody else. It feels great to be accepted into UVA because I can see all the hard work I’ve put into school pay off. My friends and family were all really happy and proud of me when I found out,” said Olivares.

Throughout high school, senior Erin Olia has devoted a majority of her time to track and field, cross country, and other extracurricular activities, yet still managed to perform excellent in academics. Olia has also received letters of acceptance from the University of Colorado Boulder, Purdue, Indiana Bloomington, Illinois Urbana Champaign, and Texas A&M. Olia’s goal is to study business at UVA.

“It was really exciting to be accepted into UVA because it’s been my number one school for a while. I chose to apply to UVA because I have been there a few times and always had good experiences, and when I toured over spring break last year I loved the environment and campus,” said Olia.

Being the president of the National Honor Society, a Link Leader, and co-founder of Green Club, senior John Le surrounded his high school years with a myriad of leadership positions in addition to challenging himself with the most rigorous courses. Having applied in early November, Le heard of his acceptance into UVA towards the end of January.

“Something I think stands out about me is how genuinely excited I am to learn and connect with others. I am excited super easily, and I work very hard to make sure I can leave an impact wherever I go. I’m never truly scared of decisions- if they don’t want me, then it was never meant to be [and] I want to either study biology, public policy, or political science so I can maybe run for mayor of town. [My advice to others] is to be yourself, but branch out, get to know others, and develop the leader within you,” said Le.

• You’re In! These three seniors will be attending UVA next year

Student Life

The Last Straw

School News

Green Team Takes Action

News

NHS: The Results are In

Culture

All-State Guitar – A Recap

News

The Wish Granters

School News

PTSO Hosts Second Annual Holiday Bazaar

Sports

An Inside Look at ATSA

News

Behind the Scenes with Lights, Camera, Action

News

Forensics Frenzy

News

Opinion: High School Diplomats, The Best 10 Days of My Life

The student news site of Potomac Falls High School