So Long, Mr. C

Athletic trainer Timothy Cocrane’s career at Potomac Falls comes to an end as he helps open a new high school in Ashburn, Virginia.

Athletic trainer Timothy Cocrane, better known as Mr. C to students and staff in the Potomac Falls community, started his journey as an athletic trainer at Potomac Falls in the fall of 2013 and is currently wrapping up his sixth year. Before his time here, he started his career at Thomas Jefferson High School for Science & Technology in Fairfax.

Cocrane attended Longwood University, where physics was his original plan, however, a change in plans led him to pursue a hands-on career in athletic training, which he has enjoyed ever since.

“I enjoyed the content of [physics] but didn’t have a goal as far as a career was concerned. In the spring of 2007, I elected to take medical leave and upon my return, the president granted me a scholarship for the remainder of my time at Longwood,” said Cocrane.

At that point, he decided he needed a shift in his line of work.  “[I]thought about what I wanted to do with my life. I realized that I wanted to work with people, work with my hands, and be involved with sports,” said Cocrane.

After looking through the course catalog at Longwood, Cocrane said Athletic Training stood out among all the other majors. He then met with the Athletic Training Program Director, Sharon Menegoni, to discuss his possible transition. “I’ve been loving this profession ever since,” said Cocrane.

During Cocrane’s six years at Potomac Falls, he has helped athletes nurse injuries, formed many relationships, and has inspired students who hope to one day pursue a career in Athletic training.

The Athletic Training Student Association (ATSA) is made up of a group of students who shadow Cocrane and learn the basics of athletic training. Sophomore Sean Dunn and Junior Warsan Arif are both active members of ATSA and have learned new things from their time working with Cocrane.

“[For a typical day,] you go in, Mr. C teaches you a lesson, and you learn about something. [Then], You tape and learn new skills and then you hang out and watch the sports games. It’s pretty fun,” said Dunn.

Both Dunn and Arif assisted Cocrane throughout the winter season and attended majority of the winter sporting events, such as basketball games and wrestling meets.

“I learned different ways to tape, how to rehab certain injuries, and how to take care of people when they are hurt,” said Arif.

Due to Cocrane’s teaching style, these soon-to-be athletic trainers were able to have fun while also learning new skills that will benefit them in the future as they pursue a career in the medical field.

“Mr C is very patient, especially when you don’t know anything and you’re messing up everything; he is very understanding. I am really upset that he is leaving next year, it makes me sad,” said Arif.

Dunn agrees.

“[Mr. C] is really good, he’s very patient and very outgoing. I would not want to be taught by anyone else. I’m proud of him because he gets to start his own thing at Independence, but it’s sad to see him go,” said Dunn.

Just as Cocrane has given to the panther community, Potomac Falls has also given to Cocrane by teaching him lessons and helping him build relationships.

“I have learned that everything starts with the relationship I have with the student-athletes. That will resonate to coaches, parents, the administration, and the community. I feel that I have become a trusted source of information for our young men and women, and they feel comfortable with me listening to their medical, and sometimes non-medical, issues. I hope to take that with me wherever I go in life,” said Cocrane.

Cocrane will be opening Independence High School in Ashburn, VA this fall.

“By changing schools, I hope to see new professional situations that will challenge me as an athletic trainer. I also hope to grow personally by using the skills that I have and modify them to my new environment. In sports medicine, if you’re not growing you’re moving backwards. It’s a very dynamic environment, and I look forward to whatever challenges I may face,” said Cocrane.