Green Team Participates in September Climate Strike

Students at Potomac Falls participated in the International Climate Strike to raise awareness about our earth. 

Across the world, people have been changing the way they live in order to promote green living. Also known as the Global Week for Future, the September 2019 Climate Strikes have been a topic of interest for many. At Potomac Falls High School, members of the Democratic Socialists of America, UNICEF, and the Green Team worked together on Sept 20 to organize a school-wide walkout in support of the movement, part of what could be the largest climate strike in history. 

The Green Team has become increasingly more vocal about the impact that individuals can have on the environment. From sifting through the recycling after school to helping organize the walkout, their initiative has grown since their start in 2018. 

“Because the UN meeting [was] Sept 23, I think it’s really important to send the message that world leaders need to take action about what we’re doing to our earth and how we’re destroying it,” said Green Team captain Paige Calvo.

The United Nations met on Sept 23 to discuss the effect we can have on the environment at the United Nations Secretary-General’s Climate Action Summit in New York. Leaders across the Earth proposed ideas to preserve the planet, promoting the idea to move away from coal-produced power and towards renewable energy. [United Nations]

The Climate Strike wasn’t solely at Potomac Falls. Over 4 million people participated in the strike across the world, including Germany, New York City, the United Kingdom, and even Australia.  Juniors Kimia Gerardi and Yasmin Gerardi traveled to New York City to participate in the protest on a larger scale. 

“I believe that it’s important to spread awareness even when you have a small platform like high school students do. I think it’s like a ripple effect,” said Kimia, “When one person starts to publicize it, the more people will begin to do it and before you know it, it’s become a worldwide issue. Everyone’s voice matters, whether you have 10 or 10,000 followers. 

“It made me feel like I was a part of something bigger than myself. I was so grateful for the opportunity and can’t wait to do it again,” said Yasmin. 

The more awareness spread across the world about the environment, the more prominent it is in world leaders’ minds, and it all can be advanced by just one person.