Latin is Not Dead, It’s Just Suffering

Photo by: Sofia Szobasci

The latest options for latin students at Potomac Falls.

Are Potomac Falls Latin students actualy part-time Titans? With their teacher out on extended leave since the start of school, administrators have had to piece together a way for students enrolled in Latin to receive instruction. To accomodate six levels of Latin, students were offered everything from a bus to Dominion to a Google meet at several other LCPS high schools, and now, for some, even enrollment in Virtual Florida.

Our PFHS Latin teacher was never able to step into the building this school year and has been out on extended leave, and no one is sure when he is going to make a return. 

A long term sub, Maureen Hall, has been supervising students as they join Google meets that Dominion (Latin IV, V, and AP), Rock Ridge (Latin II), and Lightridge (Latin I) share with Potomac Falls in order for the curriculum to be given to the students, which has not been as efficient as some students were hoping it would be. “Everyday, I log onto a Google meet and listen to the Dominion teacher. We didn’t receive any assignments to do, which is a big reason why I dropped the class,” said junior Emma Meehan, a Latin IV student.

Many students from the three existing Latin blocks, which are comprised of all six levels of Latin I through AP, have dropped the class since the start of the year, leaving about 40 Latin students total who remain. “I don’t think Latin this year was run smoothly at all. In the beginning of the year, we would receive assignments asynchronously and do those in class, which worked pretty well, but attempting to convert back to a Google meet style learning was not conducive,” said Meehan. 

The option to stay at Potomac Falls and join a Google meet to have an overview of each of the Latin classes going on at either Dominion, LightRidge, or Rock Ridge, depending on the level in which a student is enrolled, does not provide much class participation.

So another option was given to Latin IV, V, and AP students prior to Thanksgiving break: to take a bus over to Dominion and receive in-person intruction. “It was too challenging to log in remotely and get effective instruction,” said Dr. Brandon Wolfe. “So the adminstration at Dominion requested that students either appear in person or drop the course. We agreed in order to help support the Latin teacher there.”

Students had to decide if they wanted to take advantage of this option prior to returning on Nov. 30. No students took this option, so no bus was set up. A handful of students who could drive themselves to Dominion now go to their campus for their block of Latin, including Latin V student junior Jack Barton.

“I really like the Dominion Latin option. Being at [Potomac Falls], I was the only kid still taking Latin V, meaning I would still be in class with people taking other levels of Latin, but I couldn’t collaborate on my work with anyone else. However, at Dominion, I’m in a class with six other Latin V students, which gives me the chance to work with them,” said Barton.

However, many students came to the conclusion that they did not want to disrupt their day to make their way over to Dominion – by bus or by their own transportration. “I personally didn’t want to commute to Dominion mainly because of the time of the class. Seventh block is my lunch block, and I didn’t think it was fair that I had to miss out on lunch with my friends. Also, I have a core class after, so I was cautious to commit because I was worried about problems with getting back to PFHS in time for my last block,” said Meehan.

In mid-November, there were 19 Latin II students who were logging into Rock Ridge’s Google meets to receive instruction, but the Rock Ridge teacher was struggling to teach concurrently. Prior to Thanksgiving break, students were given another option to enroll in Virtual Florida or drop the class. The deadline for this decision is Friday, Dec 3. “It is not the best option, but it is all we have,” said Wolfe.