Fall at the Falls: Upcoming Events

Photo by: Karwaan Kotwal

Fall may be considered the most exciting and busiest time of the year at Potomac Falls.  You don’t want to miss out on anything, so here’s a rundown of some of the most important events coming up in the next few weeks. 

With Potomac Falls traditions continuing this year such as homecoming and the most recent big event, Fair at the Falls, and new events like the SCA-sponsored drive-in movie, Potomac Falls is in for a wild ride. 

PSAT: Oct. 12

One of the more important but not exactly exciting events coming up on Oct. 12 is the PSAT, from 9:30am to 1:30pm.The PSAT can be described as a preliminary SAT. The PSAT is important for those who are interested in the National Merit Scholarship Program, but otherwise does not affect a student’s grade, grade-point average, or future SAT score. The PSAT will only be available to grades 9-11, and freshmen will take the test using their county-provided chromebooks while sophomores and juniors will have a paper test. Seniors will not take the PSAT, and instead will have other assignments/ an activity while in school on PSAT day. Absent students will not have a make-up test day, and all students grades 9-11th are automatically registered to take it. PSAT student guides will be handed out the week of Sept. 12 in school by your English teacher. 

Powderpuff Football Game: Oct. 19

Powderpuff is one of the most looked forward to events for the upperclassmen and is a fun way to fundraise for the junior and senior prom. The powderpuff football game will consist of one all-girls junior class team, one all-girls senior class team, and hopefully a team of all-boy cheerleaders. Junior and senior girls will go head to head on the football field to determine who really owns the school. (Watch out seniors, the juniors won the game last year.) The actual powderpuff game will be on Oct. 19 with the kickoff at 7pm. Practices and eligibility in order to be on a team for powderpuff is TBD, Show us your spirit and sign up to play in this Junior Advisory Board sponsored event! 

Homecoming Week (Stairwell Decorating, Spirit Week, Football Game, Dance): Oct. 17-22

One of the most highly anticipated weeks of the school year will start on Oct. 17. Within homecoming week, there will also be an SCA sponsored spirit week depending upon the chosen homecoming theme, class advisory board skits in the morning, stairwell decorating, homecoming football game, and finally, the homecoming dance. Voting for the homecoming theme occurred last week on Friday in advisory and the theme options were 70’s Disco, The Wizard of Oz, Candyland, and Halloween. The homecoming theme reveal will be this Friday Sept. 16. The homecoming football game will be against Briar Woods HS with gates opening at 6:30pm and the kickoff at 7pm on Oct. 21. The following homecoming dance will be on Oct. 22 at 8pm in the main gym. Look out for more announcements to come from the SCA about this week long extravaganza at Potomac Falls! 

Fall Play Nov. 18-20

Drama department’s fall play Puffs cast list came out on Sept. 12. The leads in the play are sophomore Landon Ulrich, junior Ben Shumaker, and senior Lily Rossi. The play is a twist on the classic Harry Potter series and takes you through a seemingly regular boy’s life who finds out he’s actually a wizard. Live performances inside the auditorium will be on Nov. 18 at 7pm and Nov. 19 at 2pm and 7pm. The drama department is currently hosting Tech Tuesdays during their practices at 7:30am in the auditorium for people who want help with tech crew for the play. More information and advertisements are to come from the drama department soon.