The Pit takes on Sparta

Potomac Falls travels to Broad Run and wins basketball thriller

Panther fans oozed emotions as they poured into the Broad Run gymnasium Friday night and crammed themselves into a tightly-packed student section. Potomac Falls was coming off its first loss in six games and fans were locked and loaded for what would end up being a down-to-the-wire game against their bitter rivals.

“The bleachers were packed and the triangle of ignorance – a group consisting of seniors Michael Schulien, Keith McDonald, and myself – were crazy loud,” said senior Haider Bhatti.

“We lost to them at home earlier this year by a single point so it felt great to finally come together and beat them on their home floor,” said Bhatti.

“The Panther Pit that night would end up being one of the most memorable moments of mine from high school because of the energy, loudness, and density of the Pit. We even got the parents into it,” said senior Brendan Del Prete.

Everytime the game seemed to be slipping away from the Panthers, The Pit would rally and get even louder. The gym echoed with “squad,” “this is our house,” and “oh p-falls” chants the entire night.

“I remember a ton of “squad” chants. They get everyone fired up and everyone in the student section typically responds to them, so we’re a lot louder afterwards,” said sophomore Brooke Levine.

Broad Run’s student section started the game sitting down until The Pit started chanting for them to stand up. The noise in the gym was electrifying and the players certainly benefited from it.   

“The players in game feed off our energy. We recognize when they need help and we rally around them,” said Del Prete.

Although the Panthers led from mid-second quarter on, the game was as fiery and competitive until the end. Matt Mologne swished a three pointer to cap off a 7-0 second quarter run.

“Even for home games The Pit isn’t that wild. That game shows how well our student section travels in comparison to other schools,” said Del Prete.

During a timeout mid-third quarter, the student section waved for the parents to stand up and cheer for the final stretch of the game. Although they were reluctant at first, a few finally budged which led to the majority of the parents standing up.

“When the parents stood up and the underclassman got involved I knew we were going to win,” said Brooke Levine.

Four Panthers finished the game with double digit scoring amidst the 65-52 win. Sophomore Danny Cox and Junior AJ Robinson had 13 and senior Matt Tierney and junior Wanya Allen each had 12.