Winter Sports Preview: Girls Swimming

Expectations of this year’s team

The varsity girls swim team led by Coach Deirdre Deker is hoping to start off with a strong opening to the season.  Deker is beginning her second year as head coach, but knows many of the swimmers as members of the Countryside Waves summer team she has been coaching for ten years.

“Team chemistry is very important and I want swimmers to look back and remember that they enjoyed their years doing high school swimming in and out of the water,” said Deker.

Deker hopes to focus on dual meets this season, where events are ranked by the individual swimmers on the team, as a large portion of the girls on the team are underclassmen.

Senior Karen Hood has swam all four years of high school and has been swimming outside of school since she was little.

“I like to go fast because you have really nice muscles and then you just kind of stand in the mirror and flex,” said Hood.

Hood’s goal is to reach her fullest potential and make it to states.

Freshman Lisa Ryan will be starting her high school swim career this season and she hopes to have the team work together, and would personally like to make it to the regional  conference.

“Everyone’s cheering you on and it’s just a fun experience,” said Ryan.

Who should you be watching this season?

Karen Hood, Jessica Touve, Sarah Saunders, Kelly Mogensen, and Lisa Ryan

This year’s roster includes:  Karen Hood, Lisa Ryan, Sarah Saunders, Annie Beane, Lindsey Oteyza, Jessica Touve, Chantal Groot, Claire Nowinski, Megan Weidman, Laura Donovan, Devin Costello, Brooke Walker, Nicole Mery, Sara Derby, Arianna Marlett, Eleanor Grace, Emma Miller, Madeline Emery, Hannah Miller, Krista Moreau, Courtney Parry, Carolina Shiosaky, Karis Roberts, and Kelly Mogensen