Meet Mark Mogensen: Candidate for SCA President

Junior Mark Mogensen is running for next year’s SCA President. This will be Mogensen’s second year running, last year he ran for vice president and won. Mogenson is not just in SCA but in involved in countless number of activities such as Relay for Life, Best Buddies,Boy Scouts, Leo Club and Mu Alpha Theta. He also volunteered in two political campaigns and one of which won for Congress.

Mogensen describes himself as “Driven, Enthusiastic, Goal-oriented.” If he wins the SCA election, he plans to “Get people more involved in the school.” He plans of accomplishing this goal by organizing more charity drives and to find more ways to give back to the community. With his given experience in SCA, it gives him an advantage. “Being on SCA this year definitely helped me decide on running for president, it helped because I got the confidence ‘Oh yeah I can be president next year after being vice president this year.’ ” Mogenson was also class president his freshman year and class secretary his sophomore year.  He believes a president should be goal-orientated, passionate about volunteerism, focused, organized, and they should want to get as many people involved as possible because that is what SCA is.

Q&A with Mark Mogenson

Q: Why do you want to run?

A: “I want to run because it was something my mom said I should do. She said to go try to do the best you can and go for the highest position. So I said I will go for vice president as a junior and as a senior I’ll go for president. That was the plan since I was a sophomore.”

Q: What are you looking forward to most?

A: “I am looking forward to meeting a new group of SCA kids and getting new ideas.”

Q: Why should the students vote for you?

A: “The students should definitely vote for me because I have the more experience than anyone and in SCA we basically volunteer our time and we do big projects. I’ve run 3 or 4 big projects this year. I did charity drives, care packages for soldiers, and care packages for kids with cancer. I started my eagle project now where we feed 245 families in the local area during the summer through backpack buddies. I have a ton of leadership experience, I am a senior patrol leader for more than a 100 kids. I coordinated and have run Fair at the Falls back in October and that was our Homecoming celebration.”

Q: When not in school or doing anything school related, what are you most likely doing?

A: “When I not doing anything school related, I am most likely volunteering, running or trying to sleep.”

Q: What is your favorite TV show?

A: “I don’t have a lot of time for TV shows, but I really love How I Met Your Mother. I watched every episode when I was a freshman and sophomore.”

Q: Are you excited to be in SCA with your sister if she wins?

A: “Of course; my sister is so amazing. She is hardworking and strong, with everything that has been going on this year. She is so smart and honestly the perfect kid. I would be so happy if she won SCA and she could go above and beyond from what Nick[our older brother] and I ever did.”

Q: What song would describe you best?

A:”My favorite song would probably be “Golden Slumbers” by the Beatles because when I was a very little kid my mom would sing me that song to get me to sleep.”