A lesson in generosity

Student shaves head for charity

Photo by: Amreen Khan

Sophomore Ashley Page happily shows off her new haircut.

When most people think of donating to charity, the first thing that comes to mind is usually money, clothes, and food. However, sophomore Ashley Page took it to the next level by donating all her hair to Locks of Love.

Locks of Love is a non-profit organization that creates wigs from donated hair for financially disadvantaged children. The requirement for donating hair is to give at least 10 inches of hair that has not been bleached. There is no maximum length of hair a person can donate.  According to their website, it is estimated that 80% of the donations that the foundation receives are from children wishing to help other children.

Page has been inspired by many different people to shave her hair and donate it. “I had a cousin who had cancer and my next door neighbor is a breast cancer survivor,” said Page. Page had originally planned on only donating 10 inches, but the stylist had told her when the hair goes through the processing some of it is lost and it is not the full 10 inches. “When you’re a little girl and have cancer, most girls dream of having long hair.” Page has decided to donated as much hair as she could– 22 inches.

For most girls, their hair is part of who they are and the mere thought of shaving their head can send them to tears. “Of course I miss is it, but I’m really happy that I did it,” said Page. “Everyone was so supportive of me when I decided I was going to do it.” In addition to donating her hair, Page has raised money for the foundation as well. “I had a fundraiser for about a month to donate money for the Locks of Love foundation and I raised $825,” said Page.

According to Page, everyone’s reactions to her new look have been overwhelmingly positive. “A lot of people say it looks really good on me and that I can pull it off.” Page’s friends especially have been supportive. “My friends have been like, ‘Oh my gosh, you look so beautiful without hair!’ because of the structure of my face. My high cheekbones especially help because I have no hair!”

In the future, Page plans on further supporting Locks of Love and similar organizations. “I don’t know if I would shave my head again in the future, but it is a possibility,” said Page. For now, Page plans on growing her hair out. “I definitely think that I will donate in the future, whether it is 22 inches or 10 inches.”