Spring Sports Preview: Varsity Softball

The Potomac Falls softball team left last season with a record of 4-8, and hopes are high for an improvement in the current season.

“Last year we were in position to win several more games than we did, but made mental mistakes that lead to giving up many runs.  If we can reduce the number of mental mistakes we make, we will without a doubt improve this year,” said head coach Benjamin Hertell.

The girls practice hard everyday after school and they focus on both personal goals as well as goals overall as a team. Working on teamwork and improving on skills is something they value.

“As a player, just to have a good batting average, and at least get to play because, you know, I’m still a freshman. And as a team, make it to playoffs at least,” said Katelyn Richmond.

They have some girls who are new to the sport, as well as multiple freshmen joining the team, so upperclassmen have done their best to welcome them. Bus rides to away games seem to be a key bonding time for the team.

“It’s kind of intimidating because there are so many people above you that are really good, but then you also feel like you’re welcome there because you’re new and they’re trying to help you out and become a better team as a whole,” said freshman Camille Kott.

“Even if you think you’re not good, try out, because it’s fun, we make the most of it, it’ll be great,” said sophomore Sarah McBride.

Some important games to come out to and show your support for the team would be their game against Dominion High School. With Dominion being our rival school, we can expect a good and exciting game.

“All of the games we play are important and we appreciate every fan who comes to watch us play.  Senior Night, May 10th at 6:00PM against Tuscarora, is [another] game that sticks out.  This is an opportunity for our seniors to be recognized for all of their hard work over the last 3-4 years and the contributions they made to the softball program.  It would be great to see the students of Potomac Falls High School come support and cheer on Grace, Charlotte and Toni for their last rodeo,” said Mertell.

You can find the season schedule for the team here:

http://potomacfallsathletics.org/main/teamschedule/id/20895/seasonid/3997225